Hi,

> Thanks again. I reloaded the re-upped version.
>
> But under W$7 with most recent Java 8.251 (updated today) nothing
> happens, not even the black screen or an error message.

Strange. Just to be sure, I downloaded the file and used it under win7
in a VM where it runs OK with java 8.

> Under an old Lubuntu and likely an old Java8 it will start.
> Also under W$10 with Java 8.241 there seems to be no problem.

Using a commad line,

java --version

will tell you what java you're running .

> What's happening here?

Perhaps, to find out, you could  start it from a command line?

java -jar <entire path to file>

That should spew out some error messages...

HTH

Wolfgang