Dilwyn Jones wrote:
> Does anyone have experience of using Windoze-specific printers from
> SMSQ/E? I notice that QPC2v2 has a facility to allow its PAR port to
> be defined as 'printer'

No, this feature does NO translation for the printer at all. The only
advantage is that the printer doesn't need to be connected through one
of the PAR ports. It can be on USB, on a network or on planet Mars, as
long as Windows can print to it, QPC can too using this mechanism.
Still you have to "speak" the language of the printer.

What I did already try and described in an article in the German
QL-Today is a way to link this facility directly to Ghostscript. This
way SMSQ/E sees a postscript printer on PAR and as long as postscript
code is sent to the port it will print fine on EVERY Windows printer
available. As an example I ported (read "re-compiled") an ASCII to
postscript converter from Linux and used it as a QD printer filter.
This way my QD can now print on all printers available for Windows! In
my eyes the long term goal is to get applications to support
postscript. Not only because QPC users would profit from this, but as
ghostscript is also available for native platforms like the Q40 this
could help those users, too!

Marcel