In message <001301c213a9$8e90a4c0$d299893e@macnamarxmjd3y>, Mike
MacNamara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
<SNIP>
>> OK. Compare the first proposal with the actual licence. Ask
>> yourself: did "the other side" make many/any concessions? Yes,
>> so I have saved face and can accept it.
>I did not think your livelihood was derived from QLs, or your
>capital tied up in it, what I meant was if my back was to the
>wall I would be looking to save face here, it is a no win
>situation.
OK reality check here. What do you actually know about the situation?
When I was selling the Q40 Peter Graf had no financial commitment apart
from sourcing the parts. Tony Firshman and I paid for the parts. He did
pay for the circuit boards and the 'licence chips and we paid him back
for these. All of the financial burden was on our shoulders. Peter would
not give Tony Firshman the circuit diagram at  the start because 'he
will steal my ideas' . (Oh did hear someone say Open Source ?).

Peter would not change one thing in his design in spite of the fact that
Tony and I pointed out several advantages to making changes and a few
real problems. Peter made very little effort to solve any problems that
existed in our manufacture. Tony found and bought most of the parts but,
because it was me that turned around and said there would be no more
money until he made some effort to help us solve the problems. The parts
became 'Roy's faulty parts'. In fact some of the problems were with his
faulty EPROM's and  2nd hand video ram. I refunded money and gave away
free copies of QPC2 (which I paid for) to a few users who waited for
ages for a Q40 which I could not supply because Tony could not get them
to work. Peter Graf got 3 times the amount of money per board than Tony
or I received. Tony for doing a whole lot of work and me for putting the
documentation together, sorting and compiling support disks, testing the
code from TT and advertising. In fact Tony and I still have several non
working boards so we made a whopping loss. I sympathise with D&D.

Peter Graf has a job which, as far as I was led to understand when he
was saying things like, 'my job is sending me to Hong Kong etc.' pays
well. The only losers here will be the users because there is nothing to
stop Peter doing business in the licence - it is just that he has to
rely on people who will not do the work because he has alienated all the
others. A rod for his own back I believe.
--
Roy Wood
Q Branch, 20 Locks Hill Portslade. Sussex. BN41 2LB. UK