On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have no illusions in this respect - some people have gone clearly
> on record (e.g. Richard Zidlicky) to tell that they do not feel that I
> have such an authority. I can perfectly live with that. It also means
> that, in the eyes of these people I certainly don't have a "perceived"
> (nice turn of phrase, that) authority.

I feel you do have authority. You're TT's representative in this matter.

> What happened here, is that people were actually given a say in
> the matter, i.e. the drafting of the licence - and then, not satisfied
> at not having got what they wanted, they decided to boycott
> everything.

The person who drew up the license had a predefined requirement list which
was inflexible - all flexibility occured only in unimportant areas. The
important areas over which there was so much contention were decided by
the dealers, in the interest of the dealers, before the users were even
consulted.

Granted, this is a gross simplification, but that's how it looks.

Now, clearly, the dealers in question are highly considered and very
capable people doing this for love, which makes it palatable.

> the presumption is that D&D have sold Q60s with SMSQ/E - after
> all, this is the way the machine has always been sold.
> If only they had simply told me - "we have not sold one single
> machine with SMSQ/E".

How do you know that they weren't sitting on a stock of 25 pre-blown
EPROMS and have been nibbling away at these with sales, and would have
made appropriate arrangements when this got down to 2 or 3 EPROMS? This is
pure conjecture. Again, only D&D can clarify this.

> Thanks fo the "technically"

As I said previously, I hold your technical skills in highest regard.

> Excuse me, but what cooperation? D&D and I don't HAVE TO
> cooperate (even though, still, I'd like to - let me go on record for
> this!).

> That also depends on the buyers of SMSQ/E. I for one, would not
> have bought a Q60 under these circumstances. If you do, knowing
> that you are using a pirated copy of an OS and that the people
> gining it to you had not right to do so, then that's your decision.

This license creates so many grey areas. For example, I have a QXL card,
but no OS, yet one was originally supplied with it. Do I have to buy
another copy of SMSQ? If I buy QPC do I have to pay for yet another full
copy of SMSQ or can I just pay the extra 10 Euros for each additional
version? [1]

Bopttom line, maybe D&D are trying to get something for nothing. I hope
not, but the suspicion remains and I'll veto my Q60 purchase (which is
some way off anyway) until this issue is resolved and license fees are
shown to have been paid.

Dave

[1] I still haven't successfully paid for this QXL card. This hasn't been
forgotten, and I shall pay asap.

  • ... Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος
  • ... Wolfgang Lenerz
  • ... Wolfgang Lenerz