Phoebus Dokos wrote:

> ??? 16/12/2002 8:51:54 ??, ?/? Robert Newson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>What exactly is the rarity of it? There were no marks to suggest it had
>>ever gone through the UK postal system
>
> Well it's the first of this kind that I have heard of (I mean recent one because if
> you go back 100 years or so these were more often).

Not so rare to find post going astray, or do you mean from US?

> My guess is than in a little while (in philately a "little while" is 30 years give or take)
> provided that all the postmarks are legible and clear and that the envelope's
> condition is okay this could catch around 250 to 300 quid at an auction. You have
> to find someone that collects postal history and covers though because stamp
> value is null (it uses these self-adhesive stamps that have NO collector's value at
> all).

Self adhesive as in lick and stick, or as in peel off and stick?

The UKPS seems to be heading towards the latter, so there'd surely be some
value to the LAST of the former?

> 65p OUCH! No wonder the Royal mail isn't doing so well...(That's a euphemism) It
> always pains me to order ANYTHING from the UK... sometimes it's cheaper to catch
> a plane and go over, pick the thing up and come back to the US... if I still was in
> Greece it DEFINATELY worths it with EasyJet prices being less than postal rates for
> bulk items for airmail. (I wouldn't be caught dead again getting anything surface
> mail from the UK)

It's like anything IT, or leisure...cost in US: $29.95, cost in UK
£35.95...and I thought the exchange rate was around £1=$1.40.

> ...I'll have to ask mum to ask the
>>recipient to carefully open the envelope and return it to me.
>
> You should... in any case is one of the weird things worth keeping!

I pick her up tomorrow eve at LHR. I'll mention it then (if I remember)