On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 09:38:57PM +0200, Pike wrote:
> Qmail claims it's a replacement for sendmail.
> They say 'after installing, read the docs,there are some minor differences'
> :-) LOL! But beware. That's vaporware.

We use qmail for nearly two years now on all our systems.
We migrated from a heavily hacked zmailer. We had at that time about 3000
domains and about 10000 POP Boxes.

Before switching the mail servers (one "relay" server with a few
dial-on-demand deliveries and one POP server) I read the INSTALL, FAQ
and the qmail manpages, looked through the list archives and made a
PLAN and a test installation to play with.

After some mails to this list about "strategies" (thanks again mainly to
Russell and Harald) the migration was really easy.

The whole process on the "hot" systems took about 4 or 5 hours, with a
ten minute downtime of the "relay" server (stop zmailer, move aside its
queue, start qmail) and about 3 hours on the pop server (due to converting
from mbox to maildir and to the new structure of the "filesystem" layout
we now use to organize customers, domains and mailboxes).

However I think I was "well prepared", and had some tiny scripts to convert
from the zmailer config files to qmail config files and create the new
structure.
I admit, though, that "just do it" is not enough. But I don't think
it is a practicable solution to any case where you switch software.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Yeah, yo mama dresses
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | you funny and you need