Rumor has it that Todd A. Jacobs may have mentioned these words:
>On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Eric Dahnke wrote:
>
>> A T1 would be ~ 80% utilized passing 22,000msgs/hr if the average msg
>> size was 23K.
>
>Not really. You need to differentiate peak load from sustained.
>
>  (average message size) * (number of messages per hour)
>  -----------------------------------------------------  = peak seconds
>                        1544
>
>So, assuming your numbers are accurate, you could clear 22,000 queued
>messages of that size is 327.72 seconds of maximum throughput. That's only
>an average sustained throughput of about 9.2%.

Aahhh... not by my math. Remember, the 23K is *bytes*, whereas the 1544000
is *bits* per second. Assuming 8-bit bytes, the thruput would be 2621.76
seconds, or ~73% utilization, and if we were lucky enough to swing 7-bit
bytes thru, it would give 2294.04 seconds, or 64% utilization. (I'm not
sure how a T-1 router/gateway encodes bytes-to-bits...)

[ my calculator is rounding to 2 decimal places, and is (incorrectly)
assuming a 1000-byte K, for 1) ease of computations, and 2) speed of
computations. My apologies for any mathmatical errors or computational
rounding problems. ;-) ]

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger
--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   ---   sysadmin, Iceberg Computers
Recycling is good, right???  Ok, so I'll recycle an old .sig.

If at first you don't succeed, nuclear warhead
disarmament should *not* be your first career choice.