On Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 07:40:08PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> The discussion on peak vs average is worth understanding as is the fact that
> a link that is 80% utilized will suffer a lot of latency and has no room for
> significant down time.
>
> 80% average utilization is way high in my opinion. In fact, anything over
> 40-50% is risky.

We made some measurements (some time ago) and found out that if you have
an email that is to be sent/received via smtp you have a factor of about
1.6-1.8 overhead for raw IP traffic (i.e. retransmits, IP and TCP protocol
overhead, deferred deliveries, etc.)
That means a 10 KB email (size on filesystem) generates about 16-18 KB IP
traffic.

However that should depend on the type of mail server you run. If you have a
"forward to ISP relay" type over a nearly lossfree line this factor should
be smaller.

We did calculate that factor from the sizeinfo from the mailer logfiles vs.
the IP accounting records on our router (I did this "per hand" from the
logfiles of about one month and I did it some months ago, so I don't have
any scripts, nor the exact data available, sorry).

        \Maex

P.S. This is about the same factor you get on HTTP daemons calculating
   logfile size infos vs raw IP accounting.

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Yeah, yo mama dresses
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | you funny and you need