From: Austad, Jay
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Sent: 7/14/00 2:18 PM
Subject: questions about performance and setup

I've been given the task of setting up our own "blaster" for sending
out emails of our financial news and charts to our subscribers.  We
outsource this right now, and it's abysmally expensive.  Basically,
we want 3 boxes (or so) that run in parallel and blast out the emails,
about 50 million per month, but the subscription rate is growing
rapidly each month.  It needs to handle bounced mail by dumping the
addresses into a file for later retrieval so they can be removed
from the database, or by running an external script for each bounced
address.

I'm looking at getting 3 dell dual PIII 750's, with a 18 or 36GB
10000rpm disk, and 512M or 1G of mem each.  Each will run Linux or
BSD.

Here's what I need to know:

1.  How well does qmail take advantage of multiple processors?  How
much memory and disk will I need?  (we're at 50 million messages per
month now, and we only send out monday-friday, so that's over 2
million messages per day, and it's only going up)

2.  How many messages per day would one estimate that each of these
servers could do?

3. I read about mini-qmail and how it's about 100 times faster blasting
out email to QMQP servers.  Since you can specify multiple QMQP
servers, if I have a fourth machine running mini-qmail and managing
the actual mailing list, can I add the other 3 as QMQP servers and
have it load balance between all 3 for sending out mail?  (this way
I could add more servers easily if I needed to)

4. Can I easily make qmail run an external script for each bounced
mail?

5.  Anything else I should know?

Thanks.

Jay Austad