"Hubbard, David" wrote:

> know what you're getting into on the Dell boxes if you choose
> to run linux.  I've got a Dell PE2400 dual that runs linux
> and you're going to be at the mercy of Dell and Adaptec on
> when you upgrade your kernel because they have some sorry
> proprietary drivers for their RAID controllers that are
> tailored to a specific kernel version and redhat sub-revision.
> If you can put up with that, then Redhat Linux/Qmail on a
> Dell runs very fast, I'm happy with mine.  But at the same

Just for the record, it depends on the RAID controller that you purchase
from Dell.  The PERC 2/DC and 2/SC (Dual Channel and Single Channel) are
just AMI MegaRAID controllers with open source drivers included in the
standard kernels.

The PERC 3/Si (and maybe the PERC 2/Si?) are the Adaptec RAIDPort
controllers with closed-source drivers.  You have to wait for Adaptec/Dell
to release new precompiled modules that can only be used with specific
kernels that Redhat releases.  But, the PERC 3/Si is much cheaper than the
2/DC if you are on a budget, need RAID, and don't care about having the
latest kernel.  You can probably get a better DPT card for around the same
price, though.  (Note:  Adaptec now owns DPT)

I have a Dell 2450 with PERC 2/DC controller and 18GB mirrored disks
running linux with Qmail.  Compiled latest standard kernel with no problem,
and the machine runs like a champ.

Later ;)

--

S. Clint Bullock
Network Administrator

begin:vcard
n:Bullock;Clint
tel;fax:(706) 542-5946
tel;work:(706) 542-5936
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.ovpr.uga.edu
org:University of Georgia;Office of the Vice President for Research
adr:;;626 Boyd GSRC;Athens;GA;30602-7411;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Network Administrator
fn:Clint Bullock