Jost Krieger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I think we are spreading urban legends here.
>
>AFAIK, the primality is for double hashing in conflict resolution.
>Nothing of that kind is going on here.

You're right. The "hashing" used here is a simple modulo. From
fmtqfn.c:

   i = fmt_ulong(s,id % auto_split); len += i; if (s) s += i;

I can't see that primality would do anything special here.

However, the default, 23, is prime, and in his only message to the
list on the topic of conf-split, DJB suggested a value of 401, also
prime, for a queue with 100000 entries: