On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 09:16, Dave Weiner wrote:
> Rick Romero wrote:
> > IMHO, manually inserting records into MySQL is a bit of a kludge.  It
> > would probably be better to create a flat file of users / passwords,
> > and let perl loop through that and pass the data to vadduser.
>
> Ok Rick, let me get this straight -- you think doing a single insert into
> the MySQL database to add a user (which makes the user active *NOW*) is a
> kluge, but writing the info out to a flat file and periodically have a perl
> program loop through it and call vadduser isn't?

No no no.. It's all a kludge ;)  The original post was written as if
writing direct to MySQL was 'normal', while doing an automatic POP auth
was a kludge.  I was merely suggesting it wasn't any more of a kludge
than already existed.  IMHO, kludge ~= not using the tools given to you
(for whatever reason).

The first kludge isn't working 100%, hence the original post. :)

> Personally, I think it's
> the other way around.  Inserting them into the MySQL database directly is
> clean and elegant, and activates the user immedetily.  Your flat file and
> perl method is at *best* run every minute (the min. interval of cron),
> possibly longer.  You have to worry about file locking (don't want to copy
> the file out from under a current processes that's writting to it), and
> you've got a plain text file sitting around with passwords in them.  I
> really think you got it backwards :)

The flat file suggestion was based on my initial assumption that this
was already done as a batch process.

Why didn't you quote the vqregister suggestion?   It seems like you're
thinking it's a real-time process (which I wasn't for the perl
suggestion), and vqregister would fit the kludge better...

I don't use vqregister that way, and I don't know what the original
poster is actually doing.. sooo I just gave multiple suggestions.

so nya! :P

Rick