It's not necessary, but it's a pretty darned good idea.

Are you running any periodical (cron) sync or expire options with sa-learn?
Training mechanisms? I'm venturing to setup a setup within Horde/IMP so users
can flag spam/ham message to help train the database. But I'm still a bit short
in the know-how of executing scripts via valias (see my related thread).

Configuring and tuning SA is a top priority for the QT in my opinion.