OK. I tried 'recordio svc -u /var/qmail/supervise/send', but that clearly doesn't work, as that is just a service script. All I get is an EOF and a hanging process. What program(s) should I call with recordio to try to get some meaningful information?

Obviously, I'd prefer to fix this, as it would also add to our knowledge base regarding what is happening and perhaps then what caused the situation. But are we reaching the point that I should just consider running that backup, wiping the box and rebuilding? Admittedly, it would take me the rest of today to do that. But I do need to figure this out and fix it.