Steve Huff wrote:

2) qtp-newmodel uses RPM package names (following the rpmforge naming convention) to model Perl dependencies; a better way is to use RPM's own Perl-specific dependency format, e.g. 'perl(LWP::UserAgent)' instead of 'perl-LWP-UserAgent'. this enables yum to be more flexible about dependency solving and not try to install a third-party package which will conflict with an existing core package.

attached is a patch to qtp-newmodel which makes the appropriate changes; i just did a cursory test on my own system, and it seems to work OK. Jake, please consider merging it for a future release? FYI, if QmailToaster needs specific versions of Perl modules, RPM's Perl dependency syntax supports that as well, e.g. 'perl(LWP::UserAgent) >= 5.805' instead of 'perl(LWP::UserAgent)'.

so, to sum up:

Thomas, please configure the priorities plugin to protect your core packages from being clobbered.

Jake, please modify qtp-newmodel so that it doesn't needlessly try to clobber core packages. :)

Steve, please open a ticket for this on qtp.qmailtoaster.com. I do not maintain the qtp-newmodel script personally but if you open a ticket (including the patch) then it will at least be on our "work sheet" when we get ready for the next release. I try and clean up as many bugs as I'm aware of before cutting a new release so if this is not fixed by the time I cut a new release I will see it on the ticket report and will remember to do something about it if no one else does it first.
Thanks.