Jake Vickers wrote:
On 04/08/2010 04:21 PM, madmac wrote:
Well anyone that can guess my passwords must be amazing.
Let alone get through the elaborate firewall system.
ssh port is " non standard "
But I agree, this box is compromised " some how " File count now at 9580 and counting

Are all of the files that are "infected" from mailboxes?
It does sound like your machine has been compromised. If you leave Squirrelmail open (ie: no protection against password attacks) or have other webapps running then this is the most likely place for them to get in. Once they have an account's login credentials, they can upload things to themselves and run them (don't ask me how - I never looked at how they did it - I just fixed it) and then brute force passwords from the local machine to obtain other access or whatever they are looking to do. I had one a year or so back where a guy installed phpbb - when he came in the next day someone had emailed him his root password. He reinstalled and put phpbb back on and had his machine compromised in about 2 hours after that.

Good thoughts. Others:

If you have web apps (other than qmt) running on the host, I'd get rid of the 127.: line in tcp.smtp and see if that blocks it. It's easy enough to configure squirrelmail to authenticate (and use port 587).

If you have users that are not using TLS/SSL with pop3 and/or imap, it's possible that their account logins have been compromised. It does happen.