I've added a link for a wiki page: http://wiki.qmailtoaster.com/index.php?title=Securing_SquirrelMail&action=edit to the Security section of the Configuration page.

Would someone care to edit the page (using above link), and add this stuff to it? Please reply to this request before jumping in so we don't have two people editing it concurrently. First come, ... ;)

TIA.

Johannes Weberhofer, Weberhofer GmbH wrote:
Another thing that makes it very hard to use PHP-security-issues is to use the following-settings for

<Directory /usr/share/squirrelmail>
php_admin_value open_basedir /usr/share/squirrelmail:/etc/squirrelmail:/var/lib/squirrelmail:/var/spool/squirrelmail php_admin_value upload_tmp_dir /srv/www/vhosts/at.weberhofer.www-ssl/tmp
        php_admin_flag safe_mode On
</Directory>

Changing the upload_tmp_dir makes it very hard to use standard-haking tools which regulary tries to operate files on the /tmp path. The other options prevents access to most directories and disallows execution of scritpts/files. You have to check ownerships/permissions to make the above settings working.

Best regards,
Johannes