I tried it according to the wiki instruction and it broke my fail2ban.

I think the formatting needs to be a bit clearer.

The vpopmail-fail file should look like this.   (For idiots like me that
leave the definition directive out, doh!)

[Definition]

failregex = vchkpw-smtp: password fail ([^)]*) [^@]*@[^:]*:<HOST>
ignoreregex =

The jail entry cannot be like this (otherwise it complains, not defined)
[vpopmail-fail] enabled = true filter = vpopmail-fail action =
iptables[name=SMTP, port=smtp, protocol=tcp] logpath = /var/log/maillog
maxretry = 1 bantime = 604800 findtime = 3600

needs to be like this:

[vpopmail-fail] enabled = true

filter = vpopmail-fail
action = iptables[name=SMTP, port=smtp, protocol=tcp]
logpath = /var/log/maillog
maxretry = 1
bantime = 604800
findtime = 3600

Once I straightened out the formatting it worked perfectly!  Many
thanks.  Great work.

CJ

--
Cecil Yother, Jr. "cj"