I used to be a fan of ADAPTEC RAID, but TWICE I had an issue where a RAID1 mirror recovered from the wrong disk, thus erasing TONS of data that had to be recovered from backups (archives, to be more language-correct). In both cases, ADAPTEC admitted that it was a flaw in their firmware that re-numbered the disks without warning. (Admittedly, both were issues where the hot-swap capability was not available, and so the RAID card was booting cold with 2 drives and had to determine which was the "good" drive -- not the most optimal method of recovering a RAID-1 array!)

Back in the early 2000's, I had good success with Promise TX-1000's (for IDE-based RAID1) -- but that is a "Fake-RAID" product, and while stable in RedHat 5-9, it became less so in the RHEL era. I dumped Promise when they reported that they had no plans to write drivers for the 2.6 kernel.

So, I switched to 3ware (now LSI) -- and I couldn't be happier! They have given me a product (both the 9550 [PCI-X] and 9650se [PCI-E] lines] that has performed FLAWLESSLY for me for both Windows AND Linux servers. When (not IF) a drive fails, I can hot-swap in a new one -- even from a different manufacturer -- and it rebuilds the RAID 1 (or RAID-10) array without interference or input at all -- just plug and play!

I have also started to use the 9750 [also PCI-E, but 6Gbps SATA/SAS], but I honestly don't have any experience with this card in a failure mode, so I'm not in a position to review it.

My lowest-end servers use Linux md-RAID, and as with the 9750, I just don't have enough failure experience to judge it....

Just my thoughts -- you know I like to share them! :-)

Dan