Looking for ideas on detecting compromised accounts, especially for smtp submission. While there are programs available to detect failed login attempts (fail2ban, etc), what if the person already has / knows the correct password, such as from a keylogger, or another account hacked elsewhere (for example twitter a couple of days ago). I had a user whose account was being used to sending spam today, managed to find it & shut it down, but wondering if there might be a good way to attempt to find / prevent things before they get out of hand. I manually checked their computer for trojans / rootkits, found nothing, and it was not an easy password, so must have been the same passwrod they used elsewhere that was hacked. Hopefully anyway...

Just random initial thoughts:

Track the different ips a user is connecting from. If there are over x number of logins within x period of time from x number of ip addresses, then disable the account, or generate a random new password for it, and maybe add a block in iptables. Perhaps also adding ip location to it on some way, so if logins are coming from multiple countries in a short period of time, it could also be detected.

Just thinking out loud to the group... Thoughts welcomed, or suggestions if there is already something out there like this.