Tony,

I'm not sure how familiar you are with maildrop, but, you could use autorespond. I use autorespond with .qmail, .mailfilter, and maildrop for vacation messages. I've set it up on my server so that my users can trigger an out-of-office reply when they send themselves an email with the subject 'out of office'. Of course autorespond does not have to be used for vacation messages alone.

Also, in 'Notes' on www.qmailtoaster.com there is a way to set up Dovecot LDA with which you can use Sieve. There may be functionality in Sieve to do just what you're looking to do.

Eric