Hi Jeff,

  Let me know how it goes.  I've been playing with adding the following
block to various nameservers in my network, with mixed success:

server 0.0.0.0/0 {
       edns no;
};

Adding the above block to the instance of BIND that resides on my qmail
server, and setting 127.0.0.1 as the primary nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf
worked.

Adding that same block to my ns1 and ns2 nameservers, that are used for
recursive lookups within my network, was a complete bust.  Still
experimenting with that.

-Chris