Hi Eric,
I have already searched the dovecot mailing list and found a few people who
complain about this error exclusively with dovecot version 2.3.11.3
It seems a bug has been introduced on the behavior of the AUTH mechanism.
On the mailing list they recommend patching the sources or upgrading to a
later version.  That's why I was asking how to upgrade.

Link
<https://dovecot.markmail.org/search/?q=tried%20to%20use%20unsupported%20auth%20mechanism#query:tried%20to%20use%20unsupported%20auth%20mechanism+page:1+mid:bsmh73cxxpqkiza6+state:results>
the dovecot mailing list.

Fabio