On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Peter Eisch wrote:

... and I have to go through some hoops to get it on there that include some various acknowledgements to the author.

That's BS. Anyone is free to download tcpserver without any acknowledgements. If you don't like the ucspi-tcp license you can use ipsvd.

But this is by the by, since forkserver doesn't use tcpserver.

I think you mean to refer to supervise. If you don't like supervise's license, use runit. If you don't like supervise/runit, start forkserver from inittab.

Then with forkserver I had to jump through some hoops to set up ulimit properly ...

If ulimit bothers you, don't use it.

I have apache running on these systems already for other reasons ...

Not everyone does. But your reasons for preferring one start script to another are beside the point. I'm merely trying to discover the details and the basis of assertions about performance.

As to the overall efficiency and speed, I'd really figure that -async can
lay a beat-down on anything that doesn't select() socket arrays.

That's speculation, not benchmarking.