On 2007-08-29 17:50:28 -0400, Charlie Brady wrote:
> A four-tuple identifying the TCP connection also identifies the server.

Right. And the tuple must not be reused for some time (2*MSL or 4 minutes
according to RFC 793), so you don't even need a high resolution timer.

However, what if there is no TCP connection yet? For example, in
forkserver, the plugins are loaded before the first connection is
accepted and you want to log a failure to load one of them (or the
plugins may want to log something in their register method). You could
just fill the remote part with zeros, but you can have multiple
processes listening on the same port and you can't distinguish them in
this case.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | I know I'd be respectful of a pirate
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | with an emu on his shoulder.