On 2007-08-30 07:07:51 -0400, Guy Hulbert wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 10:08 +0200, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> > On 2007-08-29 18:36:12 -0400, Guy Hulbert wrote:
> > Here are some (measured) resolutions of gettimeofday on various systems:
> >
> > Linux/i386:      1 ms
> > Linux/SPARC:     2 ms
> > HP-UX/PA-RISC:   2 ms
> > Linux/Alpha:   976 ms (1024 Hz)
>
> 'ms' is usually milli-seconds but it appears you mean micro-seconds ( I
> pretend that u=mu and write it 'us' ).

Fortunately I am using a German keyboard so I can claim an AltGr
key malfunction ;-) (AltGr+m = ยต)

> > > ( otoh, qpsmtpd is not even threaded is it ? ).
> >
> > It might be possible to run Apache::Qpsmtpd on a multithreaded Apache.
>
> Unlikely.  PHP people still won't bless mt apache.

But mod_perl people do, AFAIK.

> Postgres people discovered a problem with crypt() - from libc

Interesting. This bug has been known for a long time (Rasmus Lerdorf
wrote 2004 that he tracked it down "a couple of years ago"), yet crypt
in the glibc still isn't threadsafe even though that should be very easy
to fix.  Obviously few people invoke crypt in multithreaded programs.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | I know I'd be respectful of a pirate
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | with an emu on his shoulder.