On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 18:03 -0400, Charlie Brady wrote:
> That is just asserting that no single process could receive two
> connections in the same tick of time() (because if it could, it's
> trivial

Just assume that time() can have the granularity of the CPU instruction
counter[1].  However, with a 16 bit PID and 65K processors you might run
into collisions with the PID ... but I doubt anyone has a connection
machine to run qpsmtpd on.

I think time() + PID is sufficient "for now" ... unless threads share
the PID ... ( otoh, qpsmtpd is not even threaded is it ? ).

[1] In principal it could and in practice microseconds are probably
sufficient.

--
--gh