Unfortunately I have to agree, in my view the move to CCM was a step
backwards for Qt Creator. I do understand the reasoning but few things
should have been prioritized before the move was made.

I have the following major annoyances:
1. Can't open context help for a Qt function/class if the line does not
compile (syntax issues).
    - For example, you know the function name but not all the arguments for
the function, F1 does nothing to help in this case.
    - See QTCREATORBUG-21686
<https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-21686>, QTCREATORBUG-11332
<https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-11332>, QTCREATORBUG-8428
<https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-8428>, QTCREATORBUG-15959
<https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-15959> (Quick search in the
bugtracker, there are more, not all might be relevant to the CCM).
2. Can't follow symbols for Qt classes and functions if the line does not
compile.
   - If the above (F1) works this will probably not be needed, but how else
do you look up a function that you need help with...
Yes the Help mode or google must be used to overcome the above, but it
breaks the workflow and it worked before CCM.

At one point Qt Creator was the IDE I recommended to everyone to use due to
the speed, completion and help context, but at this point in time I am
actually considering evaluating other IDEs to see if they can not "help" me
code better.
I use Qt Creator in my day-to-day life at work and home, I was even so
committed to it that I created the SpellChecker-Plugin[1] for the IDE about
5 years ago and still maintain it. At this point I am rather frustrated.

PS:

> Also, sometimes the only way to fix CCM to highlight/react to inputs like
> F2 is to restart qt creator.

What also works (on Windows at least) is to kill the clangbackend.exe
process from the task manager, Qt Creator will detect this and restart it,
then you do not need to restart Qt Creator at least.

I really hope this specific issue can get priority and get resolved.
Regards,

[1] https://github.com/CJCombrink/SpellChecker-Plugin