Hello all;

I guess we in Poseidon Simulation should stand up here. We are using Qt Jambi active in a still ongoing development of a so called GMDSS simulator. We have been using Qt Jambi for about 2,5 years now, and we are even mapping our own C++ Qt Widget as a component in the Qt Jambi app, since most other staff is still using standard C++ Qt. We have made both a Linux and a Windows version. The product is a quite advanced graphical application, where we are using the QGraphichScene/Items stuff a lot. On total, the number of code lines are above 100.000.

Although it has been some struggle to get Qt Jambi to be stable enough for us, Gunnar and Eskil have made a wonderful job in getting rid of those child deceaces. It's really a pity that the world of Qt and Java doesn't recognize the great oppertunity this framework offers for platform independent graphical high level programming. An open source community should really have the potential to market this product far better than has been the case so far.

I think we were one of the pioneer users of Qt Jambi in a commersial setting, and we have gained quite some experience in the usage of the framework. However, we have not been dwelving into the code behind the mapping since we thought this was going to be maintained by Trolltech. It seems like this era is over though.

Since our product rely heavily on Qt Jambi, we will of course help out with some resources in a FOSS project.

Gunnar and Eskil, I guess you cannot give any commitment to it, but it would be really helpful if this group that is now forming could continue asking for some guidance from you and Eskil also AFTER one year has gone.

Best regards,
Helge Fredriksen

Mathias wrote:
> I'm in, what about you?

We are currently working hard on an open source product built on top of Qt Jambi. Half a year ago we made the decision for Qt after a lot of analysis and comparison of alternatives. However, we did not expect Trolltech to drop Jambi in the way it is doing now. Still, after having considered our options we will stick with Jambi.

I think every framework or toolkit needs at least a few active, real-world "sample/lamp post/flagship" projects with some visibility in order to get people excited, serve as real-world demonstrations of what's possible and build trust. This is why I am really missing a Who-is-using-Jambi-page with an (ideally long) list of diverse, real-world applications.

Since we are planning to have our project stick around for some time to come I would be willing to work with other community members to drive Jambi development from the real-world perspective.
Of course, no single project will be using even close to the full feature set Qt is offering. This is why we need more applications to step up and share their experiences, contribute solutions, report problems and drive development.

Who else on this list is building or maintaining an application available to the open public (be it open or closed source) that has a dependency on Qt Jambi?
Please come out and let us know!
We need to compile a list and see where we stand...

Cheers,
Mathias