On 23/08/11 14:16, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Tuesday, 23 de August de 2011 14:07:46 Philip Ashmore wrote:
>> For example image file format support, you instantiate a mapping object that
>> looks up the registry and loads the implementor for that format if it's not
>> already loaded.
>
> What registry are you talking about?
>
> This is exactly the point that Stephen was trying to make: we need a way to
> detect which plugins exist and what they do, plus this should be cached
> somehow.
V3c-dcom's implementation uses the concept of sandboxes, a kind of registry.

A sandbox is a file, a kind of network database, implemented by meta-treedb.

Meta-treedb(SourceForge)  uses treedb(SourceForge)  which uses v3c
(SourceForge).

You can have system sandboxes where the file is at a well known location -
think LSB.
Then there's the users sandbox that can describe other plugins the user
installed locally.

There can also be an environment sandbox that's specified by an environment
variable,
allowing programs to run in any arbitrary sandboxed environment.

Take a look at the v3c-dcom examples: v3c/tests/calc_test.cpp even creates its
own sandbox,
inserts a plugin (in-process server) and loads it from there.

Philip