On 23/08/2011, at 10:04 PM, <lars.kn...@nokia.com> wrote:

> On 8/23/11 1:55 PM, "ext Thiago Macieira" <thi...@kde.org> wrote:
>
>> Right! That reminds me of another implication I had thought of but
>> forgot to
>> write:
>>
>> we need a new, better and much more efficient way of finding out what is
>> a plugin
>> and what isn't, instead of loading everything found in the plugin
>> directory
>> and hoping for the best.
>
> Yes. Didn't we have some code to inspect elf headers? Could we maybe add
> some data into a special elf section containing the info about the plugin?
> That would at least solve it on elf systems.

If you went down that path, you'd have to consider whether it was easy to do
this with the various build systems people use, not just qmake or whatever Qt
is going to be using. I suspect this would not be a popular path to take for
this reason.

--
Dr Craig Scott
Computational Software Engineering Team Leader, CSIRO (CMIS)