On 18/09/2011, at 9:48 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:

The big difference there is whether those executables are
architecture-specific in multiarch configurations (e.g.,
/usr/lib64/NAME/libexec). Usually they aren't.

How could an executable not be architecture-specific? I must be missing
something.

I meant if a 64-bit library (/usr/lib64/libfoo) can use a 32-bit helper
application (/usr/lib/foo/libexec/bar). Or to put it simply: where should the
64-bit helper be installed: /usr/lib or /usr/lib64?

Since this appears to be a linux-specific question, the
lsb-disc...@lists.linux-foundation.org<mailto:lsb-disc...@lists.linux-foundation.org>
 mailing list might be the right place to ask that question. I think there was
some discussion on there earlier this year about what should be done around
multi-arch in the LSB, so it would seem wise for Qt to be on the same page with
the LSB spec and development of upcoming versions. Perhaps iyou could post your
question there with some more context - they should be able to recommend the
right approach.

PS: The LSB guys recently took on discussion of the FHS too with a view to
updating it, so now is a good time to be talking to them about issues like this.

--
Dr Craig Scott
Computational Software Engineering Team Leader, CSIRO (CMIS)