I'm with you.  I do look like crap sometimes and I don't care, but also it's when I am home.  I'm not worried about what I look like when I am here.  I take care of myself like I did before I was sick.  If I want to veg and pull up my hair without even brushing it yet, then that is what I am going to do.  I make it to brush my teeth and that is about it.  I do change if I am going to go somewhere but I do run into neighbors when I go to check the mail but I also run into the same neighbors when I am going out and returning home so they know that I care what I look like in public.  I actually came to be very close with my neighbors next door and know the guy across the street from before I got sick.  I have gotten friendly with the other surrounding neighbors and they are still friendly with me and have conversations with me no matter what I look like.  I just make sure I look decent when I am going somewhere. I donât put on my leg bag unless I go out.  If I leave to check the mail or sit outside, I just make sure the bed bag that is hanging from chair is empty and most of the tubing is pushed under my pant leg.   I donât make an extra effort to curl my hair or put on makeup every time I go out.  The only time I put on make up is if I have dark circles underneath or look pasty that day.  I still think I look good without it.  I also donât bother curling my hair all the time.  I have way to much to be bothered with it all the time.  It's over half way down my back.  I do throw rollers in it to get out the frizz after blow drying it and get some curl to the ends b/c it's layered and looks like crap if I don't but if it's a day that I donât wash my hair and going somewhere, it's going it a pony tail which I think still looks nice.  I go to Wal-Mart, grocery store, etc.. and run into someone I know just about every time I go.  I knew a lot of people when I waited tables and can't go anywhere without knowing someone.  They look like crap too in sweats, no make up, and hair thrown up.  The guys usually look worse.  I just make sure I look decent.

Stacy
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2005 3:06 PM
Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] Sci appearances

In a message dated 12/01/2005 22:17:08 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Jim you are correct about taking care yourself to look attractive. I see a lot of my neighbors there are wheelchairs looking like they just donât care about their appearance any more. And I fill that them looking and dressing as they do it has an effect of the way others look towards me and everyone else in wheelchairs. Just because Iâm disabled doesnât mean that I have to look as if I and homeless and a bum. Just as several of my neighbors will go up to the grocery store with their overnight bed bag hanging on the outset of their chairs. Which looks a mess it reflects upon the others in our community that are in chairs. I donât want to see it and I know that the average AB truly doesnât want to see it. I understand if thereâs no other way but if you could put it in a bag so that everyone didnât have 2 C your piss well why not. They go around as if itâs a new fashion statement.
I personally have found that since having my sci I have been even more conscious about the way I look!  It's only been in the past year that I've had the gutts to start being a Goth - an image that I had always wanted to have but didn't have the bottle to.  I get a lot of strange looks, but I also get a lot of puzzled looks, as though they are asking themselves "why is someone in a wheelchair looking like a Goth??"  I am who I am, and I'm pleased to say that I live by that when it comes to my appearance, and if someone in society doesn't like it........ TOUGH SHIT is my attitude!

And now I shall go and get some dinner! hehe

Take care,

Love Smurf xxx