I use a silicone, because I found out I'm allergic to latex.  I have alot less
problems with silicone, but with what you described I might be allergic to the
silicone, but not as bad as latex I know of no other catheters that I can use.
Does your insurance pay for the Saline solution?  I use a 24 french and 10cc or
I should say thats what the doctor uses.,.I get him to change it once a month
if I go much longer than that it feels like he's ripping out my guts.. what do
ya'll irrigate with?
  Gina

Quadius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    The main reason I asked about the type of catheter is because I discovered
about 10 years ago that I am allergic to the silicone products.  I first
noticed it when I had a silicone trach to which my skin became adhered.  Ear
nose and throat had to rip the trach right out of my neck and finally got them
to agree to do reconstructive surgery about five or six years later.
  When I have a silicone catheter in my body, my bladder spasms profusely, I
feel like I have a terrible UTI, the stoma tries to adhered itself to the
catheter, and there are excessive amounts of calcification on the end of the
catheter when it is removed.  I now only use latex catheters with a little bit
of silicone coating.
  According to my care providers, this is an abnormal allergy, but I thought
I'd let you know about it since you're, seems to close around your catheter.
Quadius

  On 4/15/08, Merrill Burghardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:         I use 10
cc's of natural saline.  I daily apply triple action antibiotic gel, but when
the SP is first installed it will generally leak for a few days.  The type used
is a 24 French.  Mine was a headache for several days.  I even thought it was a
mistake but it was worth it.

  Merrill