Below Bill wrote "Dave died when they removed a Central IV line from his
neck."  I do not know if he died *instantaneously* as they were removing it
but if he *did* then something caused it directly from the removal because
someone does not died suddenly from such a routine procedure.
When my nurse was here to change my catheter and recertify me for my
home healthcare on Thursday I was asking her what could possibly have
happened to Dave by explaining to her what little I knew about Dave and what
happened to him.  She was a nursing floor manager for many many years and is
a seasoned nurse.  Age - 61.  Her response to me about what could have
possibly happened is:

*Central Line (PICC Line) Problems that can go wrong:*

* A tip of the catheter could have broken off during removal and gone into
the bloodstream causing a fatal clot.

* Even though there is very little air in Central Lines — there is also the
opportunity for an air bubble to be released and therefore cause a fatal air
embolism.  This would be especially opportunistic if the patient was taking
a breath during the removal of the Central Line.  *I remember being told not
to breathe* when they were inserting and/or removing my Central Lines -- at
certain crucial points.
* Central Lines go right into the center of the chest where the heart and
lungs are so it is very important that the person putting the lines in are
specially trained to do this.  The two times I had it done [in the summer of
2005 and then 2006] -- a local hospital has a special room with 2 specially
trained personnel for the insertion.  And that is all they do -- put in
Central Lines.  The removal can be done at home -- as mine was by my home
health agency nurse.  Not as risky *as putting it in* but the
person/nurse/professional still has to know what they're doing.

Just good to stay informed!

Lori Michaelson
Age - 44
C4/5 complete quad, 29 years post