Greetings,

I posted earlier about the free software Sue Center:

        http://www.suecenter.org

With a $50 device called a USB-UIRT:

        http://www.usbuirt.com

and a one time configuration of Sue Center:

        http://www.suecenter.org/remote

you can control any infrared device such as a TV,
DVD player, cable box, etc.   With another device
for only $25 from SmartHome:

        http://www.smarthome.com/4040/Infrared-X10-Command-Console-IR-543/p.aspx

you can control any appliance via infrared signals to an
X10 network in your home.

I'm glad to help with any configuration issues.

Jon