From: greg <g...@eskimo.com>
To: quad-list@eskimo.com
Sent: Wed, Apr 28, 2010 10:05 am
Subject: [QUAD-L] Unidentified subject!

The other day I mentioned that I never go out by myself without my chest strap
n, or without my phone. That night I took my dog for a quick pee check before
ed. My chair is in the shop, so I'm in my backup. It has no chest strap.
sually when I go out alone, I put a strap around my headrest and my head and
ne arm. Since I was just going around the block... I didn't... nor did I take
y phone.
'm part way around and my dog pees, so I turn around because it's shorter. My
ear wheel slips off the sidewalk into the gravel and is stuck just a bit. My
rror was I was sitting with my back to far upright. So when my chair jerks when
t gets unstuck, I start to fall/tip forward. I've done this before and my
eflex is to gun the chair forward to help me sit back. I stop myself / the
hair, before I get to the edge, the the fast stop makes me fall forward even
ore. I hit the joystick with my arm and off I go, right off the curb. Good
hing was I was going forward not sideways so no tipping over. Plus my legrest
it the street and stopped my chair from going further into the street. Bad news
as my legrest hits the street and I make a dead stop. No momentum to help me
it back up.
o I'm stuck half off the curb, tipped forward on my lap, with no phone. At
ight not many cars drive by. Luckily I was there only about 3-4 minutes when I
eard loud taking in the school parking lot across the street. I start yelling
CAN SOMEONE HELP ME" It took a minute of yelling before I heard them yelling
ack that they were on there way over. A man and lady out jogging. They were so
ice, he was trying to sit me back up first, but was so careful. Like he was
oing to break me. Then they were able to lift my front wheels back up on the
idewalk. Then they asked if I needed them to walk home with me :-)
After 28 years, that was the first time going off a curb. Once my 5/6 year old
iece was on my lap driving and we went off our curb going fast, but it is the
urved/slopped kind. I go up/down them all the time, but I have to tilt my back
o go down it, then tilt all the way up to go up the curb, but I do it very
low.
Greg