I am a C-4 quad with an indwelling Foley catheter. My urologist says that my
urethra is eroding, and suggests I have a procedure called a urostomy. He
performed a procedure called Urodynamic, which measures the amount of urine
your bladder can hold. Mine is holding less than an ounce of urine. So now he
wants to remove my bladder, and make me a new one using part of my small
intestine. During this procedure, both ureters are relocated, a new bladder is
made, and urine as directed from the body through a stoma in the abdomen, which
connects to a bag that adheres to the skin. I am going to the hospital on
Tuesday to have an MRI, to make sure that it's safe for me to have this
procedure because I also have Crohn's disease and disturbing my small
intestine, may cause my Crohn's to flareup (which is a very terrible thing).

My dilemma is this: I have to choose between having this very invasive surgery,
and all of that may come after it including infection from many sources,
including the new bladder, ureter relocation, the stoma, and skin irritation
from the adhesive for the bag, and not to mention the Crohn's flareup

Or.

I can wear incontinent briefs which I don't have anyone to change them, because
there's just me and my 80 year old mother, living together. She won't be able
to change them throughout the day. I have an aide comes in the morning and
gives me a bed bath and get me in my wheelchair. The rest of the day, there's
just me and my mom here until bedtime (around 9:00 PM) when my nighttime aide
comes to put me to bed. My catheter bag is usually not emptied from morning to
night. My mom cannot handle me to change briefs, and if they're left on, I
would have all types of sores.

Does anyone on this list have a urostomy? If so, how is it working for you? I
would love to hear what others have to say regarding my dilemma.

Naomi.
C-4 quadriplegic due to Transverse Myelitis
since July 2, 2005

Have a Blessed Day, Naomi