Glenn,
      You a VERY kind in writing such an in-depth email for us all to Benefit 
from. I myself have a chronic sore that never gets very deep, nothing beyond 
superficial, but it keeps me in bed from time to time. 
  It seams like if I ride in my van to often, the sore returns and if I drive … 
it returns sooner. I'm sitting on a high profile roho that is checked every 
single day.
  I JUST ordered a brand new power chair with tilt/recline (which I had before, 
the tilt/recline that is) Quantum Edge. When I do get the chair I'm going to 
have an ezlock installed in the back of the van so as a passenger I can 
tilt/recline much, much further than as a passenger.
Bobbie





Sent from my iPad

On Apr 24, 2012, at 11:38 AM, [email protected] wrote:

> Uni-Solve makes an adhesive remover that works great and Medicare now covers 
> it!
>  
> Also a reprint:
>  
> I have a friend who is charge nurse in a wound clinic and deals with
> the latest technology in wound healing. 
>  
> I feel that it would be wise to print this information, research it, and put 
> it in use
> when needed.  I am a bullhead and almost needed a 2x4 along my head to
> try using tea on my skin.  I'm a believer.
>  
> Here goes:
>  
> I had an area in the groin area, measured 1 inch long and 1/2" wide, with 
> little depth.  Our normal treatment was washing the area with tea to change 
> the pH in the area, applying Neosporin or something similar, apply zenaderm 
> and then bag balm.  The healing went back and forth, sometimes getting better 
> then stepping back.  Well, after hunting season I called a friend, RN at the 
> local wound care center, to give us some ideas.  The area first opened in 
> August due to an attendant not seating me correctly.
>  
> After looking at the area my friend suggested a treatment that they are using 
> at the wound center.  Many of us will stay with something that is tried and 
> true, but we were going down that path and it did not work so let's try the 
> new stuff.
>  
> She recommended using a new dressing with Safetac technology. ( 
> http://www.molnlycke.com/us/Wound-Care-Products/US/Safetac-Technology/ ).  
> The dressing is called Mepilex Border dressing, ( 
> http://molnlycke.com/Global/Wound_Care_Products/UK/Product%20Sheets/Advanced/Mepilex%20Border.pdf
>  ) similar to what I have known as "mini island dressing."  The difference 
> between the two dressings is the Border Dressing uses a tape that is silicon 
> based and does not damage the skin when removed or when you shift weight.  
> The border dressing has a telfa style center but is very thin.  A normal 
> dressing would have bunched in this area and the border dressing does bunch 
> to some extent, but less than the island dressing and is much less a problem.
>  
> Everyone is aware of the white skin that surrounds a wound as well as 
> whiteness in the center of the wound.
>  
> The whitish film that is in the center of the wound is called bioberden   A 
> product called acticoat, was placed on the area then covered it with the 
> border dressing.  Although manufacturer states that it can remain on seven 
> days she recommends only three or four days.  The acticoat contains silver 
> which helps to remove the white area and keep the area free of bacteria.  
> After the wound is clearer of bioberden, we discontinued using acticoat and 
> started to use another product Puracol AG+ which also has silver in the 
> product.  The Puracol was covered with the Border dressing and remained on 
> three or four days. Puracol is a collagen product
> ( 
> http://www.allegromedical.com/wound-care-c541/puracol-plus-ag-wound-dressing-with-silver-p557629.html
>  )
> the collagen is absorbed into the wound and promotes healing.
>  
> We however did run into one problem.  We were able to get a few samples on 
> the border dressing but found that the pharmacies and medical supply centers 
> in our area did not handle the product.  Needing a dressing to keep Puracol 
> in place we used "Extra thin Hydrocolloid dressing" a dressings similar to 
> DuoDerm.
> Big mistake!  This dressing although very thin folded inward and bunched on a 
> lump, tearing the skin and causing yet another open area.  The unfortunate 
> part is that the original area was almost healed by this point and now we are 
> working with a new area in an area that is even more likely to bunched up any 
> bandage that is applied.  We are using the border dressing and it is staying 
> in place with the help of Medfix tape.
>  
> I believe that the new procedures reduce the healing time.  The original area 
> which was open for approximately 4 months healed within two-three weeks.
>  
> As I started to search the Internet to purchase the border dressing and 
> Puracol AG+, IMPORTANT MUST BE AG+(with silver), I found some prices 
> ridiculous.  One vendor had the border dressings at a price of $75 but with a 
> little searching I found them for $25.  The same was true for the Puracol.
>  
> In addition we will be using the silicone tape ( 
> http://www.molnlycke.com/us/Wound-Care-Products/Product-Selector---Wound-division/Tabs/Products/Mepitac/
>  ) instead of the Medfix tape. 
>  
>  
> Another tip for us that get yeast infections in the groin area, body folds 
> and under breasts.  I was
> prone to yeast infections and my friend also gave me a lesson.  A yeast 
> infection will remain in the skin
> 2 weeks after any visual signs are gone.  I smell a yeast infection before it 
> appears and start treatment right away.  The smell is a musky scent. 
>  
> I wash the area with tea, fan dry and apply Lamisil or lotramin.  Fabric that 
> has silver embedded,
> www.noblebiomaterials.com can be placed in the area which also does wonders.
>  
> I make the tea by putting a tea bag, cheap stuff, in a small bowl with 3 ozs. 
> of water.  Microwave for
> 1-2 minutes and let it steep in the microwave for 6+ hours.  I make 2 batches 
> at a time, using 1 in
> the morning and 1 in the evening.
>  
> Works for me!
>  
> Glenn
>  
>  
> In a message dated 4/24/2012 10:33:14 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 
> [email protected] writes:
> Hi...I have three Stage 2 wounds that are healing but my biggest challenge 
> are not
> the wounds but the irritation on the surrounding skin from the 3M Micropore 
> tape.
> I have used paper tape but that, too, caused irritation to the skin.
>  
> Any ideas?
>  
> Thanks,
> pj
>  
> From: Monty
> Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 9:12 PM
> To: Larry Willis ; quadriplegic
> Subject: Re: Fwd: [QUAD-L] Pressure sore
>  
> That is way too long and have you ever been tested for a bone infection? I 
> have successfully conquered  two of them, one of them my bottom and the other 
> one just below my elbow. You need to see in infectious disease for this and 
> if it shows a negative result. Then get a second opinion from a second 
> specialist just to make sure. I had to travel two hours from my place just to 
> find a doctor that would listen to me. There's only two wound clinics in my 
> area, so after visiting the one two hours away was able to get everything 
> done just under six months. The one on my elbow was that one I had to travel 
> for and nearly had it for nearly 2 and half years. I had to do my own 
> research on locating these doctors because my primary physician would not 
> listen to me! I'm on Medicaid and Medicare so I had no out-of-pocket expense 
> for these doctors except for my time. So the best thing is to do your 
> homework and don't take no for an answer! Take care and good luck
> Monty of Indiana
> 3/4 complete post 18 years
> PS once they cleared up the bone infection, then they did a muscle flap to 
> fill in that area.
>  
> From: Larry Willis <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected] 
> Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 8:29 AM
> Subject: Fwd: [QUAD-L] Pressure sore
>  
> Wow, thanks guys. All good advice which I will most definitely follow. I have 
> a feeling that if I could stay off it, it might improve as well. However, I 
> stay by myself during the day and just can't stay bedfast. There is just no 
> way to win in our quad world. God bless all of you.
> 
> Sent from my iPad
> 
> Begin forwarded message:
> 
>> Resent-From: [email protected]
>> From: "Eric W Rudd" <[email protected]>
>> Date: April 22, 2012 7:18:15 PM EDT
>> To: <[email protected]>
>> Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] Pressure sore
>> 
> 
>> I’ve had about a 1” – 1.5” by .25” – 3/8” sore since 2001.  Received after 
>> seeing the so called wound specialists.  My own self-care has kept it clean 
>> & the same size. My primary doc, whom I see twice a year, is kept up-to-date 
>> via digital pix.  I clean it w/ tap h2o & gauze, apply a 4x4 folded in half, 
>> skin prep then Tegaderm...every a.m.
>>  
>> Eric W Rudd
>> [email protected]
>>  
>> From: Larry Willis
>> Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2012 3:41 PM
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: [QUAD-L] Pressure sore
>>  
>>  
>> I have a pressure sore on my tailbone that has been the bane of my existence 
>> for years now.  It is not deep and has never been seriously infected. 
>> However, I have been fighting it for over six years! I have some feeling in 
>> that spot and sometimes it feels like a red hot branding iron. Bad! It is 
>> about 4in by 4 in. In the last several days it has begun to bleed profusely. 
>> I don't know whether this is good, bad, or irrelevant, but it is a first. 
>> Any of my buds here got any knowledge to share about it? Thanks. Larry Willis
>> I use a Roho cushion.
>> 
>> Sent from my iPad
> 
> 

Reply via email to