Hi Meredith,

Here is an article I wrote for New Mobility magazine about the Peristeen
system.  http://www.newmobility.com/2014/04/peristeen-for-bowel-management/

As a "survey of one", I've been using Peristeen since November 2013.  As far as
the A.D. issue, I'm a T10 para
so I'm just below the cutoff for A.D., but it is a very good question and one I
would discuss with your doctor.

The way you go about getting it is to either ask your doctor and/or nurse
practicioner about it or write an email
to the folks at Peristeen, made by Coloplast:  us-perist...@coloplast.com  Or
call Rita Ward at Coloplast at:
(612) 337-7856

The entire system is small and fits into a bag the size of shaving kit and/or
small woman's purse.  I travel with my
Peristeen system, it fits easily into my suitcase and/or carry on bag on a
plane.

It is designed to be used while sitting upright--on the toilet.  I use the
system while sitting on a standard commode.
I have full use of my hands and arms--I find it very easy to use.  Setting up
the system from the box takes about a
minute.  It takes about another minute and a half to fill up the water bag with
tap water, attach the rectal catheter.
The next step is inserting the catheter, filling up the catheter balloon and
adding water to the colon via squeezing
a a rubber hand pump.  On average the entire process--filling the water bag
with water through pumping water into
the colon (bowel)--takes me about 4-5 minutes.  Once water is in the colon, the
catheter is removed and it is a matter of
sitting and waiting--I find it a good time to catch up on reading or listening
to my favorite podcasts.  Time to empty
the colon (bowel) varies from about 20 minutes to 40 minutes.  For me it takes
30 minutes, like clockwork.  Everybody
is different, for some reason I find I empty in three "waves" about 10-minutes
apart.  It still amazes me how much
comes out--at least 3-4 times more than I've ever managed to empty with
"digital stim", suppositories, or using
standard enemas.

Again in my "survey of one" I give the system a 10.  Since starting using
Peristeen in November I have had zero
accidents and (despite risking Murphy's law) for the first time since I was
injured 29 1/2 years ago, I don't think or
worry about bowel accidents.  I also feel much better.  As I wrote earlier
today, I recently had my yearly KUB
(kidney, ureter, bowel) X-ray to check for kidney stones.  Over the past decade
or so these X-rays always included
a statement by the radiologist that said something like "difficult to see
because of stool", meaning I was full of
s#%t.  My urology nurse practicioner showed me my current X-ray and compared it
to a previous X-ray and said
"you can see that you have much less stool in this X-ray".  In my old X-rays it
was easy to see that  my entire colon
(bowel) was full, even though I had done a bowel program the morning of the
X-ray.  In the current X-ray it is easy to
see that the 2nd half of my bowel (1/2 of my transverse colon and my entire
descending colon=2 1/2 feet of colon) is
empty.

Probably way more than you wanted to know but really important to me.

Bob V