On 01/19/2018 02:32 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm building what hopefully will be R4.0-rc4 and I have two
> reflections:
>
> 1. After upgrading templates to fedora-26 and debian-9, there is no way
> the installation image will fit on DVD. Right now it takes 4908384256
> bytes. We probably could try to cut it down by eliminating even more
> packages from templates, but I think there is no much non-essential
> packages left there. For example we no longer ship vim in debian-9.
> Right now I see two options:
>  - abandon the goal of fitting the image on DVD (I'd go for this)
>  - exclude some template from default installation...

Since most earlier Qubes releases also did not fit on 4.7GB DVD, I
always assumed I'd need to use an 8.5GB DVD instead. This works fine.

> 2. grub suck at booting xen.efi (or rather: xen.efi is rather picky
> about its environment). On many systems, booting xen.efi without grub
> (using rEFInd, EFI shell, or simply by renaming it over BOOTX64.efi)
> helps with boot problems. An idea: do not use grub on UEFI installation.
> Downside: you loose boot menu - no way to choose or not media
> verification, or rescue mode. And no way to adjust boot arguments,
> needed on some platforms to workaround UEFI bugs... To do that, you'd
> need to edit EFI/BOOT/xen.cfg using some other means.
> Alternative: keep grub there, but provide an instruction how to boot
> xen.efi directly, in short:
>
>     mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt # assuming /dev/sdb1 is installation USB
>     mv /mnt/EFI/BOOT/xen.efi /mnt/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi
>     mv /mnt/EFI/BOOT/xen.cfg /mnt/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.cfg
>     umount /mnt
>
> After such operation, media verification would fail, obviously.

I'd agree with the alternative, because there is a trade-off between
grub's bugs and using grub to work around boot issues. Filing bug
reports (or adding to them) for the grub/xen.efi problems could help.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket