On 05/29/2016 03:36 PM, Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
Hi,

is it just me or is in the documentation no explanation why one should
use over the other? I also couldn't really find anything in the
ML-archive.

Why should I use btrfs or lvm with QubesOS? I have in my head somewhere
looming with real problems when there is not a lot of space available,
up to a system that is not bootable anymore. Do the tools provided by
Qubes use features of btrfs like snapshoting or what else it has up its
sleeves? What problems might arise when one uses btrfs? Is it really
stable enough nowadays?

Niels

Hi Niels,

There is one case where I would use lvm over btrfs at this point: RAID configurations. I think they were still trying to get the bugs out of btrfs RAID as recently as last year.

Otherwise, btrfs has been great with Qubes and I highly recommend it on a normal PC or laptop. Its been very stable for me and is now faster[1] and more versatile than other options. For instance, if I want to experiment with a number of different templates or appvms, Qubes will reflink the disk images instead of duplicating them. The reflinked copies occur instantly, and only use extra disk blocks when changes are made to the original or the copies. AFAIK, this capability is unique to btrfs and requires only a simple 'cp --reflink' which Qubes does automatically in the case of vm images.

Btrfs also has differential send/receive backup and restore. Qubes backup doesn't take advantage of this yet, but its still something you can configure yourself.

I haven't had any issues with disk space, though I generally keep more than 20GB free.

Chris

1. https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:822493/FULLTEXT01.pdf