Em quarta-feira, 6 de julho de 2016 12:37:31 UTC-3, Andrew David Wong  escreveu:

> On 2016-07-05 12:35, juris...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > Qubes uses full disk enryption by default:
> >
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/user-faq/#does-qubes-use-full-
> > disk-encryption-fde

> > I added this page to our docs a week ago:
> >
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/encryption-config/

> > This sounds like something that should be reported to the Tor
> > project or Whonix.
> >

> > Thanks, Andrew. But still... I did not find wich encryption is used
> >  by default in qubes documentation.
>
> Well, Qubes just uses cryptsetup/LUKS/dm-crypt from upstream, so you
> should really be looking for that in the cryptsetup documentation (FAQ):
>
> https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/wikis/FrequentlyAskedQuestions
>
> > And people still has to do it manually. Plus, when i went to the
> > advanced partitioning, there were lots of bugs. We need to be able
> > to chose serpent, aes, cascade, iteractions, etc.
> >

> Patches welcome!
>
> - --
> Andrew David Wong (Axon)
> Community Manager, Qubes OS
> https://www.qubes-os.org

I mean, what is the default encryption? what are the default iteractions? How
many bits?
Plus, like i said, i am an USER. I am a LAWYER, not a programmer. The system
should not be directed for people to, without ANYTHING in installer telling me
things like i read in the link you pointed me like "aes-xts-plain should not be
used for encrypted container sizes larger than 2TiB. Use aes-xts-plain64 for
that" should be automatic warning in a pop up when the person chosing
encryption inside the installer is chosing it!

Still the suggestion remains and with solid reasons:

1) a normal user DO NOT KNOW what WAS USED as encryption inside the installer.
When i say that, i say AES? SERPENT? 128 bits? 256? Whirlpool? Not if it used
LUKS, but even that is something that should be pointed, not just a "chose your
password"

2) Outside the installer, is sad that is not in qubes faq or in the website.

3) And options to chose encryption are still a need. So the user can chose
speed/security. For example, i dont trust AES intel thing, so i like to use
serpent. Plus, when i typed wrong FDE password, i could try again VERY QUICKLY,
so i doubt a good secure iteraction number was used.

Imagine i keep telling my windows friends that knows nothing about programming
to install QUBES and then when they ask about the encryption i paste a link
like that and say STUDY SOME HOURS AND SOLVE THE PROBLEMS EVERY ONE OF YOU.
HOURS FOR EACH STEP SO YOU DONT MAKE DUMB THINGS. Thats kinda nonsense.

I mean, a security distro for desktop user, should have like a warning button
pop up, "IF YOU USE SSD YOU CAN HAVE THE ISSUES X OR Y WITH ENCRYPTION", or
other warnings everyone should know, in the programmer choice. For example,
after i did read the link you pasted, i tought was VERY IMPORTANT to know that:
"CLONING/IMAGING: If you clone or image a LUKS container, you make a copy of
the LUKS header and the master key will stay the same! That means that if you
distribute an image to several machines, the same master key will be used on
all of them, regardless of whether you change the passphrases. Do NOT do this!
If you do, a root-user on any of the machines with a mapped (decrypted)
container or a passphrase on that machine can decrypt all other copies,
breaking security. See also Item 6.15." ... So... wth?? If you change the
password, anyone with any password can read my encryption WITHOUT MY PASSWORD?
So, whats the point in changing password of a container in case was compromised?

I mean, giving warnings and orientations would be a very time consuming thing,
i know, i was just mentioning the ideal scenario from a security distro
installer, but giving the encryption choices woud not be so hard. For example,
i dont know about license problems, but could not someone just copy that script
part from another distro? I remember i had this options when i installed debian
years ago. Must still be there.