On the Signal matter, just some personal paranoia Re: Signal and Google
Play Services:

I've been the subject of some rather intense and ongoing hacking (iPhone,
iPad, Android phone/tablet, PC, MacBook, cable modem connection, you name
it).

On the Android phone, I wiped it several times, and switched to Cyanogen,
but the "weirdness" kept coming back.  (Seeing stuff being recorded,
logged, queued to upload etc., when scrutinizing the filesystem with adb.)
 The issues often seemed to dance around Google Play Services.

The problem kept coming back, until last time, when I wiped the phone yet
again, but didn't install Google Play Store (and thus no Google Play
Services).  Things *appear* to be stable and secure now, with no
logging/recording/uploading weirdness showing up on the filesystem.

I'd like to install and use Signal for obvious reasons, but I honestly
don't trust Google Store/Services enough to take the risk.

(I have a psycho ex with some crooked cop buddies, so I half suspect some
law enforcement/government hook might be present in Google Play Services.
Speculation of course.  But I'll personally stay clear for now.  I'm not
doing anything illegal, but with crooked cops it really doesn't matter
much.  :) )

I did get a copy of Signal from apkmirror, but I expect it might not work
without Play Services, and I'm not sure it'd be smart to implicitly trust
apkmirror, either.  So I'll keep my SmartPhone as a DumbPhone for now.

I was kind of excited to hear about Signal for Chromium, but disappointed
to find it relied upon you also having it installed on your smartphone.

Aaaaaand then there's this:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/06/not-ok-google-chromium-voice-extension-pulled-after-spying-concerns/

Not cool, Google.

Cheers.  :)