On 09/20/2016 01:16 PM, mittend...@digitrace.de wrote:
Hey,

Firewall rules are set for a specific VM/Qube. From common understanding people would probably think that those rules are active no matter what happens outside of that very VM/Qube, but in fact it seems like those rules are active if and only if there is an ProxyVM connected to that VM/Qube.

Examples:

1) I can configure firewall rules for a ProxyVM, but they are not actived, if that ProxyVM is connected to a NetVM (if I connect another ProxyVM in between, this might probably work?!)

2) I can configure firewall rules for a AppVM, which will not be active if that VM is connected

And: What happens if a ProxyVM does not implement the firewall service, or if the firewall service crashes in the ProxyVM ? I cannot find more information about the firewall mechanism than "centrally managed in Dom0 and exposed to each Proxy VM through Xen store" from http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.de/2011/09/playing-with-qubes-networking-for-fun.html

Ideas:
a) A warning if an AppVM is (about to be) connected to a NetVM (instead of a ProxyVM).

b) Do not allow "firewall rules" being set for ProxyVMs (I think Proxy-Chains are rather unlikely being used?!)

c) A warning about DNS-Names in firewall rules

[c) A warning if a connected ProxyVM does not activate the firewall rules]

thank you,

Robert Mittendorf

This is a good candidate for filing an issue, but mainly for this situation -- "A warning if an upstream VM does not implement the firewall rules", which should include connecting to netvms.

IIRC, Qubes Manager used to grey-out the firewall tab for any vm that was connected to a netvm. That doesn't appear to be the case now in R3.2.

As for idea 'b', I'd disagree with that. Chained proxyvms are probably more common than you think.

Chris