On 2016-09-20 10:16, mittend...@digitrace.de wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Firewall rules are set for a specific VM/Qube. From common understanding
> people would probably think that those rules are active no matter what
> happens outside of that very VM/Qube, but in fact it seems like those rules
> are active if and only if there is an ProxyVM connected to that VM/Qube.
>
> Examples:
>
> 1) I can configure firewall rules for a ProxyVM, but they are not actived, if
> that ProxyVM is connected to a NetVM (if I connect another ProxyVM in
> between, this might probably work?!)

Correct. Normally, it wouldn't make sense to try to enforce
firewall rules for a FirewallVM. That's why the default
sys-firewall and sys-net work the way they do. However,
if you have a need for this, you're free to create your own
FirewallVMs and chain them together.

> 2) I can configure firewall rules for a AppVM, which will not be active if
> that VM is connected

Assuming you meant "unconnected," that's right. The reasoning
here is that the purpose of firewall rules is to govern network
traffic. But if a VM has no NetVM (i.e., has no network access
at all), then there's no network traffic to govern.

> And: What happens if a ProxyVM does not implement the firewall service, or if
> the firewall service crashes in the ProxyVM ?
> I cannot find more information about the firewall mechanism than "centrally
> managed in Dom0 and exposed to each Proxy VM through Xen store" from
> http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.de/2011/09/playing-with-qubes-networking-for-fun.html

Take a look at these pages:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-firewall/

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/networking/

> Ideas:
> a) A warning if an AppVM is (about to be) connected to a NetVM (instead of a
> ProxyVM).
>
> b) Do not allow "firewall rules" being set for ProxyVMs (I think Proxy-Chains
> are rather unlikely being used?!)
>
> c) A warning about DNS-Names in firewall rules
>
> [c) A warning if a connected ProxyVM does not activate the firewall rules]

Thanks! This general suggestion has previously been made
and is currently being tracked here:

Also related:

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)