Il giorno lunedì 14 novembre 2016 22:44:03 UTC+1, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki ha
scritto:

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 08:42:41AM -0800, Francesco Rmp wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> > thanks in advance for your support.
> >
> > I'm new tu qubes but not to linux un general and i'm having a bad issue
> > with my qubes installation.
> >
> > I have a qubes 3.2 installation on an external USB drive (because $reasons)
> > and it's not willing to boot, my system doesn't even detect it as a
> > bootable device, for reasons i really don't know.
> >
> > The partition layout is as follows:
> >
> > 32MB unallocated space (i think for GPT alignment reasons
> > 192MB FAT16 EFI System partition
> > 512MB ext4 /boot partition
> > my LUKS root partition
> > other 60MB inallocated (again i think for alignment reasons but meh, anyway
> > who cares)
> >
> > in the EFI FAT16 partition i have the following files
> >
> > EFI/qubes/
> >    initramfs-4.4.14-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64.img
> >    vmlinuz-4.4.14-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64
> >    xen-4.6.1.efi
> >    xen.cfg
> >    xen.efi
> >
> > while in the /boot partition i have all the usual grub related files and
> > kernel images.
> >
> > i've tried booting into rescue mode from the installation media in an
> > attempt to restore the grub bootloader, what i generally do in a
> > traditional linux distro is chrooting into my installation and then
> > manually restore grub, but in my / i can't find anything grub or grub2
> > related that i can use to reinstall the bootloader, so i'm a bit stuck.
> >
> > any advice on how to rescue my qubes installation so that i can boot into
> > it again?
>
> Some EFI BIOSes handle external drives differently in looking for
> what to boot... Try this:
> 1. Copy EFI/qubes/ to EFI/BOOT/
> 2. Rename EFI/BOOT/xen.efi to EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi
> 3. Rename EFI/BOOT/xen.cfg to EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.cfg
>
> - --
> Best Regards,
> Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
> Invisible Things Lab
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Hi Marek,
thank you very much for your support, you were right, i've followed your
instructions and i was able to boot back into my qubes :)

now from time to time what happens is that, if i'm not booting from a
completely shut down system (cold boot) i receive an error about buffer being
too small and xen doesn't boot.
but that's a minor issue, as long as it boots up in the end.

again, thank you very much