Hello everyone,
thanks in advance for your support.

I'm new tu qubes but not to linux un general and i'm having a bad issue with my
qubes installation.

I have a qubes 3.2 installation on an external USB drive (because $reasons) and
it's not willing to boot, my system doesn't even detect it as a bootable
device, for reasons i really don't know.

The partition layout is as follows:

32MB unallocated space (i think for GPT alignment reasons
192MB FAT16 EFI System partition
512MB ext4 /boot partition
my LUKS root partition
other 60MB inallocated (again i think for alignment reasons but meh, anyway who
cares)

in the EFI FAT16 partition i have the following files

EFI/qubes/
   initramfs-4.4.14-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64.img
   vmlinuz-4.4.14-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64
   xen-4.6.1.efi
   xen.cfg
   xen.efi

while in the /boot partition i have all the usual grub related files and kernel
images.

i've tried booting into rescue mode from the installation media in an attempt
to restore the grub bootloader, what i generally do in a traditional linux
distro is chrooting into my installation and then manually restore grub, but in
my / i can't find anything grub or grub2 related that i can use to reinstall
the bootloader, so i'm a bit stuck.

any advice on how to rescue my qubes installation so that i can boot into it
again?

Thanks