On 11/12/16 21:48, Andrew David Wong wrote:

On 2016-12-11 09:10, Leeteqxv wrote:
I have a previous test installation of Qubes 3.1 on a separate HDD
(now external USB), which cointains a customised (cloned+extra sw
installs) Fedora-23 template used with a dedicated AppVM.

Now I have Qubes 3.2 installed on a new HDD on that machine and
before we move on to Fedora-24 (when F23 "expires" later this
month), I would like to "import" that custom template AND the
related VM into the new (fresh) 3.2 install.

I cannot be sure if I have all the necessary insights into Qubes
to assume I can just copy / paste some folders/files into the new
installation, so I would like to know exactly which folders/files
are involved, and if there are any special order/steps to take, and
whatever else is needed for this. I also think that the resulting
How-To list should be fitted into the documentation somewhere.

(PS. I have not yet upgraded the new 3.2 system to Fedora-24, so
that part is not the question here. I will do the upgrade to F24
after the migration of the template/VM along with the rest of the
system. Hence, my question here is regarding a "migrate" between
two F23-based systems, from Q3.1 to Q3.2)

I am aware of the following docs:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/template/fedora/upgrade-23-to-24/
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/upgrade-to-r3.2/

Can someone provide an ordered list of steps for this?

Thanks.

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like the built-in Qubes
backup tool (qvm-backup from the command-line, also available from the
Qubes Manager GUI) is the right tool for the job:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/backup-restore/

Especially this part:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/backup-restore/#migrating-between-two-physical-machines

- -- Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Thanks for the quick response.
That method would work while still having the old system available/bootable.
But in my case, I have replaced the old HDD with a new one (on a laptop), and need to access the old installation by simply adding that physical disk as a USB disk into the new system.

So I am really looking for which files/folders I need to copy from the old system into the new installation, or, alternatively, if I can "migrate" or point the new system to create a new Template and a new AppVM by pointing it to a folder on the old disk to use as a template for the creation.
How can this be done?