On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 08:04:00PM +0100, Leeteqxv wrote:
> On 11/12/16 21:48, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> >
> > On 2016-12-11 09:10, Leeteqxv wrote:
> > > I have a previous test installation of Qubes 3.1 on a separate HDD
> > > (now external USB), which cointains a customised (cloned+extra sw
> > > installs) Fedora-23 template used with a dedicated AppVM.
> > >
> > > Now I have Qubes 3.2 installed on a new HDD on that machine and
> > > before we move on to Fedora-24 (when F23 "expires" later this
> > > month), I would like to "import" that custom template AND the
> > > related VM into the new (fresh) 3.2 install.
> > >
> > > I cannot be sure if I have all the necessary insights into Qubes
> > > to assume I can just copy / paste some folders/files into the new
> > > installation, so I would like to know exactly which folders/files
> > > are involved, and if there are any special order/steps to take, and
> > > whatever else is needed for this. I also think that the resulting
> > > How-To list should be fitted into the documentation somewhere.
> > >
> > > (PS. I have not yet upgraded the new 3.2 system to Fedora-24, so
> > > that part is not the question here. I will do the upgrade to F24
> > > after the migration of the template/VM along with the rest of the
> > > system. Hence, my question here is regarding a "migrate" between
> > > two F23-based systems, from Q3.1 to Q3.2)
> > >
> > > I am aware of the following docs:
> > >
> > > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/template/fedora/upgrade-23-to-24/
> > > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/upgrade-to-r3.2/
> > >
> > > Can someone provide an ordered list of steps for this?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > If I understand you correctly, it sounds like the built-in Qubes
> > backup tool (qvm-backup from the command-line, also available from the
> > Qubes Manager GUI) is the right tool for the job:
> >
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/backup-restore/
> >
> > Especially this part:
> >
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/backup-restore/#migrating-between-two-physical-machines
> >
> Thanks for the quick response.
> That method would work while still having the old system available/bootable.
> But in my case, I have replaced the old HDD with a new one (on a laptop),
> and need to access the old installation by simply adding that physical disk
> as a USB disk into the new system.
>
> So I am really looking for which files/folders I need to copy from the old
> system into the new installation, or, alternatively, if I can "migrate" or
> point the new system to create a new Template and a new AppVM by pointing it
> to a folder on the old disk to use as a template for the creation.
> How can this be done?

You can copy appropriate directories from /var/lib/qubes/ related to
that VMs into your new installation (make sure to place them in exactly
the same location: appvms/ or vm-templates/), then use qvm-add-template
(for templates) and qvm-add-appvm (for appvms) to register them in
Qubes. Do not override any files, if VM with the same name already
exists, rename or remove it first.
After this operation, proceed to template upgrade procedure you've
already found.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki